Monday, December 31, 2007

Another Year Come and Gone

What can you say, another year has come and gone. As I drove home this afternoon, thankful for the early off, the day seemed more reminiscent of early fall. It was not very cold, but rather breezy and leaves were being blown throughout the streets of downtown St. Louis. From Clark to Tucker to Gravois to 55, I thought the streets of downtown St. Louis seem awkwardly empty for a Monday afternoon. Only a handful of people were milling about outside the Federal Building, waiting for the bus. Somehow I felt a sense of melancholy that that year is about to end, and tried to lift my spirits by thinking about everything I've accomplished this year.

Every year people make stupid bullshit resolutions that they never follow through on. I have and so have you. But this year was different. I resolved to get myself in shape and start living healthier. I've been smoke free for over a year. I started off exercising 3-4 times a week, and now I'm usually working out 6 times a week. I've dramatically increased my upper body strength, but I'm not done yet. You're never done, no matter what you achieve. There is always something past the point you reach that beckons you to push yourself further.

I finally got a good job. I work for the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the best Police force in Missouri. All of my co-workers are great people and not a day goes by that we don't have a great laugh and really enjoy each others company.

With that mode of "movin' on up!" I'm also movin' on out. I've got my own apartment down in S. City. I love my apartment and even though it's a slow process moving in, I'm getting it done. The only real problem is that I need a couch, and I'm so fucking picky about what I like. I don't think I'm ever going to get one.

I don't plan on drinking a whole lot this year. In fact I'm only hanging out with my friends for a portion of the night. I plan on heading home early to hang out with my sister, who just came home from having her gall bladder taken out. She finally turned 21 and can't have any alcohol on New Years because of the pain meds she's on. So I'm coming home to spend the evening with her. Besides, I can't afford to have my typical 2-day hangover from New Years. I'm off Tuesday, and Weds we start sprints in P.T. So I need to be in good health.

Happy New Years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home