Monday, October 31, 2005

Spinning in the wind

Seriously, there's just a feeling on Halloween thats fun. I mean thinking back to ye old days it was the anticipation of getting dressed up with your friends and running around like a bunch of crazies telling jokes and getting free candy. Of course you'd get the occasional creepy old lady with a bucket of pennies she'd be giving out. And then there was that big "let's be safe" campaign in the early '90s because some nutty people would start fucking with the treats and taint the spirit of free candy mooching. But on the whole it was a day like no other, to be revered and held as high as Christmas in some people's minds. It was a celebration of friends and free shit and dressing up in spooky outfits and sometimes chasing around Joe Schoen until he went running home, truly scared.

I don't know if its just me but I love the fall. I mean you've got your nature enthusiasts and hippies who would praise the glories of summer and how the earth is in it's prime in the summer. But I say fall is where it's at. Autumn, it has a nice feeling to it. Tranquility, peacefulness and calm, a coming dormancy. The colors are more vibrant and clear to me when they turn in October and fall from limb to ground. And there's that familiar autumnal smell, you know- the smell of earthy, leafy textures in a brisk chill morning that takes you by surprise. Spinning in the wind, the leaf fell from the limb.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Nice entry...though I still think Spring is where it's at personally.
:)
Hope you had a good Halloween. Mine sucked here of course because Koreans don't celebrate it! I still managed to carve myself a pumpkin though (or something that resembled a pumpkin).

Oh well...there's always next year...
;)

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home